Have you ever come across a No? That word of rejection which instantly overwhelms you with defeat, embarrassment, and unworthiness. Well, rejection comes in all shapes and sizes, at various situations and sometimes at moments when you are sure enough that you have made it through.
While rejection is a humbling experience and an unavoidable part of life, there are people who can’t take the truth of rejection and will continue to self-loathe to the point of agony. Yes, your confidence might have taken a jolt, but lifting yourself again and pushing past the disappointment with a renewed mojo will help you win through the tough times.
For salespeople, getting an email rejection is a part and parcel of their job. Though a tough pill to swallow day in and day out, rather than banging your fist on the table and holler at the desktop screen, sales reps should man up, develop resilience and re-bounce quickly to survive the grind of a sales job; for the rewards are bigger.
Salespersons should understand that a customer is obliged to say “Thanks, I have already selected a vendor” or flatly say “No, bye”; and they must take that rejection on a lighter note and not as a stab on their chest.
Data from a recent study shows that average open rates for email campaigns range between 15.22% to 28.46%. With such a dismal number, you can well understand that half of the email campaigns that salespersons put so much work into end up as rejection mails.
So, how will you get over the No and turn it to a Maybe or a Yes? Here’s a lowdown.
- Stop taking the rejection personally & keep the door open: Remember that a rejection doesn’t mean that the customer is dumping his grudges on you or is playing with your confidence. The answer may lie in your sales strategy or the content of the email. Maybe you need to tweak your professional approach or make the email a bit more customized so that the customer can connect with your brand better. Make a polite request in a laidback and casual tone about the same offer, providing more text and audio-visual information to give the customer a signal that the company is invested in him.
- Analyze and come out with a winning idea: Sometimes, it’s better to ponder and look deep into where you have gone wrong. Search for the customer’s interests and preferences. And reframe the conversation with the customer. Steer clear of any issues that can derail the task even by a whisker. More importantly, ask his opinion on the particular subject, so that you can hear out his feedback and frame a winning tactic based on those inputs.
- Continue to follow up: Studies have found out that nearly 44% of the sales reps throw their hands up at the first rejection and 92% dismiss the lead completely upon the fourth rejection. However, the rest 8% take home 80% of the incentives. Unless you keep following up the prospect by tweaking your tactics and getting to know what the person really wants, you will stand in line with 92% of the people. Today’s customers are suckers for attention and the more you keep them interested by applying your strategies, the more there is a chance they will give in.
- Empathize with customers: Building a relationship with a customer requires sensing a customer’s emotions, his interests and attending to those on an emphatic note. Use of emphatic statements in emails to communicate with customers, understanding their priorities and showing that you care can evoke a lot of interest in the customer towards your brand.
So, have your nerves relaxed, now that we have cleared the air on how to tackle a sales email rejection? Sales reps should know that no matter how many rejections they face from customers, they must take those rejections as another opportunity to better their approach, finetune their strategies and get battle-hardened; as we know for a salesperson every day is a battle.